October 13, 2004

Letting the side down.

I cant seem to shake off a certain dissillusionment i feel concerning my current professional obligations. My body is shackled by lethargy, wracked by convulsions of apathy. I cant say that i'm completely ungrateful for the opportunity to study at university, and i'm generally satisfied with the content of the courses i'm enrolled in. I have no great difficulties working with the staff allocated to me and there has been no dangerous or lasting conflicts with fellow students.
There is a stupid negative stigma surrounding students on social security in this nation state. But work is work is work and this job sucks as much as the next. Work sucks by definition tiresome and repetative and this industry is exploitative and nasty. Sure, i have less contact hours than my friends in kitchens and factories and shopping malls but i get paid only enought to survive. Surrounded by dried out academics with spines made of dead twigs and bittersweet suburban white girls a little overweight more than a little naieve and they'll move out of their parents house when they marry a nice white boy with a good job who loves his country and is ruled by his cock. Sure, I've got more time where i'm free to spend, but i'm living below the poverty line. I shed my fair share of blood sweat and tears.
My back is bad, my eyes are sore and i ache all over. I have never felt so bombarded with a thirst for deep sleep and dreams. When i wake I just dont care enough. With every passing grade i still say ABOLISH WORK and then shake off assignment due dates like dead skin. Throughout my school years i resisted what i saw then, and see now, as compulsory miseducation. Should i attempt to manufacture greater respect for social institutions that i have deemed illegitimate? Should i obey obey obey alongside my fellow self obsessed servile sycophants. Should i pay for the priviledge? Universities are held to be utopias of progressive thought but its a tiny minority thats passionate, or even interested in social change on or outside of campus on a scale small or large. When i'm at work it seems i'm surrounded by the smell of submission to stagnation. Like Art Alexakis maybe I'm just a loser geek crazy with an evil streak, but I think i'd rather sleep and sit on my arse, read beautiful and subversive literature, tune in to great music, immerse my soul in love, smoke bongs and suck my own dick than travel an hour in order to better swallow the status quo. Sorry.


Audrey Autonomy 14/10/2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home