September 25, 2004

was thinking about a remark i made to a mate a couple o days ago concerning my desire to free myself of my personal library of art objects and all my other so called possessions (eg- the lifeblood of my material personality). my friend laughed down at me of course. you'll never do it. you'll regret it. you'll be bored. you'll be hungry. you'll be invisible. ok, for sure, its a big step. but i think with some perserverence i could overcome the immediate drawbacks. human beings have the power to adapt grow evolve in their surroundings. and i've been hiding in a plastic sandcastle with a moat full of cosmetics and vinyl for too fucking long. peering out from behind piles of cds and videos i've felt before and that elusive satisfactory collection of black t shirts for every occasion for every day of the week. items of jewellry that dont make effective weapons hanging heavy around my neck and dragging on the ground. appliances that shave two or five minutes of my meals. i've been wasting my time for years, for years i've been in the process of owning things and they've been owning me too. i've put too much time into creating my material personality. i'm getting nowhere. i'm trapped in this bullshit suburban dream. fuck it. i'm gonna pack up and leave. someday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Audrey Autonomy said...

and the construct becomes increasingly intricate as we grow older and have new experiences, new needs and desires. Our need for the construct of self, aswell as its constantly evolving nature, makes it increasingly difficult to leave behind in a grasp for a kind of freedom from material desire.

9:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home