March 30, 2005

Queeruption 7

The Queeruption 7 experience for me was basically breathtaking and wonderful.
The venue problems were only a relatively peaceful reminder that subversive action will by its nature face resistance. What did we lose? Time? Two or three days we could have set up and carried on with more productive fun and tasty activities? Nathanwi said to me one night “no expectations, no regrets.” And the phrase has stuck in my mind. I know quite a few of us were thinking at times that friendships are formed stronger under adversity and also that ideas thrive from being stepped on.

Nothing really went according to plan but of course nothing was ever going to. How can you map out and prescribe for a temporary autonomous zone? It was erratic and multifaceted. At times difficult and frustrating, but very rarely dangerous and above all, fun! Creative, passionate and free people, when they come together, tend to broadcast laughter and song that will reverberate through any concrete jungle.

Never in my life had I been surrounded by such a fascinating shifting collective of such beautiful, sweet, naughty and often fiercely independent individuals. To everyone involved I say thank you thank you thank you for Queeruption 7. It was really amazing and reaffirming for me to be able yo meet and play with so many other cool queers who stand for peace, love and subversion!

Audrey Autonomy
Adelaide, March 2005

Check out Queeruption 7 (Sex & Anarchy in the Antipodes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home