October 05, 2005

Australia comes in at Number 41!

Reporters Without Borders announces its third annual worldwide index of press freedom. Such freedom is threatened most in East Asia (with North Korea at the bottom of the entire list at 167th place, followed by Burma 165th, China 162nd, Vietnam 161st and Laos 153rd) and the Middle East (Saudi Arabia 159th, Iran 158th, Syria 155th, Iraq 148th).

In these countries, an independent media either does not exist or journalists are persecuted and censored on a daily basis. Freedom of information and the safety of journalists are not guaranteed there. Continuing war has made Iraq the most deadly place on earth for journalists in recent years, with 44 killed there since fighting began in March last year.

But there are plenty of other black spots around the world for press freedom. Cuba (in 166th place) is second only to China as the biggest prison for journalists, with 26 in jail (China has 27). Since spring last year, these 26 independent journalists have languished in prison after being given sentences of between 14 and 27 years.

No privately-owned media exist in Turkmenistan (164th) and Eritrea (163rd), whose people can only read, see or listen to government-controlled media dominated by official propaganda.

The greatest press freedom is found in northern Europe (Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, the Netherlands and Norway), which is a haven of peace for journalists. Of the top 20 countries, only three (New Zealand 9th, Trinidad and Tobago 11th and Canada 18th) are outside Europe.

Other small and often impoverished democracies appear high on the list, such as El Salvador (28th) and Costa Rica (35th) in Central America, along with Cape Verde (38th) and Namibia (42nd) in Africa and Timor-Leste (57th) in Asia.

Reporters Without Borders compiled the index by asking its partner organisations (14 freedom of expression organisations in five continents), its 130 correspondents around the world, as well as journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists, to answer 52 questions to indicate the state of press freedom in 167 countries (others were not included for lack of information).

You can find this article here at the Reporters Without Borders site.
Reblogged by Audrey.

Incidentally, Australia came in at number 41. Thats behind Slovakia. Estonia. Slovenia. Lithuania. The Czech Republic. Bosnia. South Africa. Benin. El Salvador. Hungary. The Dominican Republic. Poland. Hong-Kong. Costa Rica. Bulgaria. Israel. And Cape Verde.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's how to make blogging pay
Keeping an online journal, or blog, can be rewarding. You can use it to share opinions or to keep in touch with friends.
You have a great blog here. I don't maintain a good blog, but I do run a home furnishings site. It highlights quality home furnishings, apparel and gift sites. Stop by when you have a chance.

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ottimo questo Blog.
Non capirai niente di quello che scrivo, ma basta il pensiero no?
Ti lascio il mio indirizzo, sai.. just in case.
http://stoneimages.splinder.com/

2:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you've got me thinking Audrey Autonomy. I really enjoyed your post about "this post , I found your blog while searching for canada immigration work visa news. I'll definitely pop around more often, keep us posted if you happen to dig up any more canada immigration work visa stuff.

7:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely don't have all the answers Audrey Autonomy, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually make a difference somewhere and hopefully make the world a better place to live in. I've been looking for citizenship and immigration in canada info and news - yeah I know I should probably get a life, but there's just something about citizenship and immigration in canada that gets me thinking of better times.

Your post about this post was a good read compared to a lot of the other stuff that's out there! Keep up the good work, I will definitely swing by again soon.

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you've got me thinking Audrey Autonomy. I really enjoyed your post about "this post , I found your blog while searching for independent immigration to canada news. I'll definitely pop around more often, keep us posted if you happen to dig up any more independent immigration to canada stuff.

2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey Autonomy, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on photography senior, I ended up on your page. Your this post shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about photography senior.

3:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Audrey Autonomy, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on architectural photography I ended up on your page. Obviously this post is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for architectural photography. Should the need ever arise where you need information on architectural photography then drop by for a look.

11:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! You've got a real knack for writing Audrey Autonomy, keep on rockin! I will definitely be checking in here again soon.

Your post about this post sure got my attention - I'll spread the word about it to my friends. Sure you won't mind a few more eyeballs on your work from the four corners of the earth? :-) Thanks for a great read!

12:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey Autonomy, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on architectural photography when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for architectural photography. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about architectural photography at the site above.

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!

4:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey Autonomy, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on course online photography, I ended up on your page. Your this post shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about course online photography.

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home